Pages

Monday, June 20, 2011

The King's Stare

Sorry for the watermark, but it does get a little disheartening when you stumble across someone-else's submission to a contest with your picture.   Anyhow, one of my favorite subjects for photography is big cats.  I frequent zoos and aquariums at every opportunity.  In my travels, I have found my favorite place to stalk tigers is at the Detroit Zoo.  They are close, no fences, and they are well taken care of.  (Maybe because of their namesake Detroit Tigers baseball team).  The tigers there are very active and love to play.  Give them some snow and they become showoffs.  This guy was no different.  He posed royally for me for long periods of time.  Then  came "The Stare".  I like to think he was also well fed.  This was taken with a Nikon D200, Nikon 80 - 400mm VR lens, on a Manfrotto Tripod. 

2 comments:

  1. the tigers at the seattle zoo were hilarious though!!
    im hoping to check out the Det Zoo next year maybe.. any suggestions for time of day or year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer morning. AND, in the winter. Snow and tigers is a good combo. Besides, there is next to no one there in the winter.

    ReplyDelete