Pages

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Great Grey Owl


Getting this photo made me feel like the flat tire I got made it all worth while.  Denise and I went on a road trip from the Lower Main Land (British Columbia) to Kamloops and back using roads we had never been on.   As we were coming back from Kamloops we headed off on 97D toward Logan Lake.   After an encounter with a bull and cow moose [I might post the pic, its not great but it was 900 ft (300m) away], we continued south on 97D.  Approximately 10km from the moose, I noticed a guy carefully walking away from the road into the bush. I looked ahead and saw this owl on a post.  The guy (Brad) got to within 2 - 3m of the bird, we turned the truck around and took some pics of Brad's head next to the bird.  After about 30 photos, the bird flew down the fence line.  We chatted with Brad for a few minutes, exchanged emails, and went to turn around to continue on.  As I pulled onto a side road, this is what I was greeted with.  I managed to take about 60 photos of this guy on this post, stalking a squirrel, taking the squirrel, and eating it in three bites. (The small pic of the owl in the side bar was after he had devoured the meal.  This photo was taken with my trusty Nikon D200, 80 - 400mm VR lens, with an ISO of 400 I believe.  Flat Tire?  What Flat Tire?

2 comments: