Pages

Thursday, November 22, 2012

MY LATEST PROJECT - KNIFE SHARPENING JIG

KNIFE SHARPENING JIG


This, believe it or not, started off being a bench rest for target shooting.  See the similarity?  No?  Well there isn't any.  I had some maple and cherry already glued up for the project, but didn't like how it was progressing, so it sat for a few months.  Then, I looked at it from a different angle and decided it needed to be used in a project. The idea was planted.  Make a knife sharpening jig.

Aside from the brass guide rod that I had to thread 8 inches, all the rest of the materials I had in scrap bins in the garage.  Why did I use brass?  I couldn't find anyone who had a piece of 1/4" stainless when i needed it.   Those dots on the side are purple heart 1/2" plugs.  They do absolutely NOTHING, except make the jig match my home made work bench. (Maple top, cherry edging, and purple heart screw plugs.)  You can see the bench in the back ground.... barely.


The design is simple.  Put the knife in the jig, tighten it down.  Find the right angle of cut, by putting the brass guide rod in the hole guide (I'm making the names up as I go. DooFunckus, and Thing-a-ma-jig are all so so common).  Place the honing stone in the holder, tighten it down, now you are ready to hone that blade edge.  

Diehard old school sharpening guys will zero in on that stone right away, in the picture.  That is my beloved Black Hard Arkansas stone.  If I wanted something sharp enough to make whiskers scream before it hits them in the shaving process, the BHA came out of its Mahogany box, just for the occasion.  I never use it for sharpening chisels, since my Washita and Hard Ark will work just fine.  This baby only comes out for that final touch to the knife I am honing.  For the record, pulled the knife out of the sheath and had my finger a tad bit too close.  Took the tip to the bone on my second knuckle.  It is still attached, didn't require stitches, but man did it bleed.  WARNING: no hairs were harmed in the making of this blog. 

1 comment:

  1. Hello,
    I love this knife sharpening. Is it possible to have some plans ?

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete