Pages

Thursday, December 6, 2012

HOME PROJECT: AIR FILTER

MY HOMEMADE AIR CLEANER


I spend a lot of time working with wood in my small garage/workshop.  Even making a few cuts on the table saw will put a lot of dust in the air (No, I don't have a dust collector....yet).  I happened to be strolling through my absolute favorite store, Habitat for Humanity's RESTORE, and found a blower for sale, so I scooped it for $25.00.  This was the start of my air cleaner.  Now that the hard part was done, I bought a furnace filter to be used to catch all the dust in the air. 


I had no absolute dimensions for the size of the box, other than, it had to house the blower, and it had to fit a common sized furnace filter.  I had lots of scrap chipboard I 'acquired' at the local landfill site, when I was dumping branches, at the same time some carpenters were dumping almost full sheets of chipboard, so that was the foundation for the box.   NOTE:  The framing for the opening is inset.  This is to allow the filter to be flush with the outside of the box. Make sure you put some sort of framing in the center of the filter area, or the blower will suck the filter in.  

I then wired the blower to a pull cord to give me three different speeds.  The pull cord switch was purchased at Home Depot.






Next came the filter door.  I used a piano hinge that I had kicking around, and a simple latch to keep it closed.  Ok Ok, the hinge doesn't match the white, and steel motif of the filter, but I didn't have to buy one.  I then used a louvered vent cover to create the air return.




Eyebolts were then installed in the top of the cleaner box to mount it to the ceiling.  Make sure you put washers on them or the vibrations may eventually pull the nuts out of the box.  And no one wants their nuts pulled!!




The finished air cleaner mounted to the ceiling.  How does it work you ask?  The garage is 23ft by 13ft x 10ft high.  This will clear out the dust in the garage in about 2 minutes.  That is satisfactory for me, since I turn it on BEFORE cutting wood. Total cost, about 45 dollars.






No comments:

Post a Comment